Faceoff™ Deluxe+ Audio Wired Controller & Afterglow™ Deluxe+ Audio Wired Controller
How does chat work on the Nintendo Switch?
When it comes to chatting while playing games on the Nintendo Switch, there is more than one way:
- 1. The first, supported by Nintendo, is to use the Nintendo Switch Online App on your phone. By opening the app and connecting your account, you can chat with friends through your phone while playing a game on your Nintendo Switch. More information about this method can be found on the Nintendo Support site.
- 2. The second way to chat is through in-game chat. This method makes chat possible by sending audio directly through the Switch either from a headset plugged into the audio jack or a USB headset. This allows you to link up with other players using the integrated chat programmed into a game’s software.
How does the Deluxe+ Audio Wired Controller support chat?
Using the in-game chat method discussed above, the Faceoff Deluxe+ Audio Wired Controller & Afterglow Deluxe+ Audio Wired Controller acts as both a controller and a USB-audio device, receiving sounds and sending out audio signals. The direct USB connection to the Switch creates a channel for communication. Once you plug in your go-to headset into the 3.5mm audio jack you will now be able to hear game audio, as well as chat with friends (on games that support USB-chat).
What games currently support in-game chat on the Switch?
The technology used to integrate in-game chat into Nintendo Switch games was recently opened up by Vivox in February 2019. Other software solutions have been used, and the games that support in-game chat with a USB device are currently:
- • Fortnite
- • Overwatch
- • Realm Royale
- • DC Universe Online
- • Killer Queen Black
This list will continue to grow, however, as more game developers adopt this new technology.
Frequently Ask Questions:
- • How do I connect the controller to the Switch?
- When you plug the USB cable into the Switch dock, you will see the Home button on the controller light up. If this light is not illuminated, you can unplug the USB cable from the dock and plug it in again.
- • Can I plug in multiple headsets to multiple controllers?
- The Switch only supports one audio output at once, so if you plug a headset into one controller all the audio will go there. The Switch will continue to send audio only to the first headset, even if you plug in new controllers and new headsets.
- • Will it be compatible with Nintendo Switch’s online voice chat?
- A headset plugged into this controller only supports in-game chat. Online voice chat will still require you to use the Nintendo Switch app and a smart phone.